West Street Recovery

FEMA Manufactured Housing Units & Travel Trailer Temporary Housing Options

FEMA News Release Issued December 19, 2017
Manufactured Housing Units & Travel Trailer Temporary Housing Options

  • Temporary housing options including Manufactured Housing Units (MHUs), Travel Trailers and non-motorized Recreational Vehicles (RVs) may be available for Texans recovering from Hurricane Harvey (link to news release).
  • The use of manufactured housing units, travel trailers or non-motorized RVs are some housing solutions available for Texans after Hurricane Harvey. FEMA determines if applicants are eligible and pairs them with the best available housing solution to meet their individual needs. Not everyone will be eligible; however, FEMA along with the Texas General Land Office will provide support to those who qualify.
  • MHUs, Travel Trailers and non-motorized RVs are provided as temporary housing solution by FEMA at the request of the state and is not intended to be a permanent housing option for flood survivors.
  • The first step to be considered eligible for direct housing assistance is to be registered with FEMA by visiting www.disasterassistance.gov, calling 1-800-621-3362/TTY 1-800-462-7585 or visiting a nearby disaster recovery center.
  • If applicants meet the criteria, they will be contacted regarding their next steps.


  • Applicants may be eligible if they are:
    • Homeowners who have a FEMA inspection with verified loss of $17,000 or pre-disaster renters whose residence was determined by FEMA to have received major damages or have been destroyed.
    • Renters whose home received major damage or has been destroyed based on the FEMA inspection.
  • Direct Temporary Housing participants must reside in a county designated for Direct Housing.
    • Designated counties are: Aransas, Austin, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Hardin, Harris, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Lavaca, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Nueces, Orange, Polk, Refugio, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Tyler, Victoria, Walker, Waller, and Wharton.


  • Applicants approved for a MHUs, Travel Trailers or non-motorized RVs will sign right of entry agreements relating to access and installation. The potential unit will be inspected for feasibility by FEMA, the Texas General Land Office (GLO), or local government.
  • Utilities including sewer, power, and water must be available and in proper working order at the site. Payment of the utilities is the responsibility of the applicant.
  • For homeowners or renters whose site cannot accommodate a unit, the unit may be placed in a rented space in a commercial Manufactured Housing Unit (MHU), Travel Trailer, and non-motorized Recreational Vehicles (RV) park.
  • A unit cannot be occupied until the contractor has installed the Manufactured Housing Units (MHUs), Travel Trailers or non-motorized Recreational Vehicle (RV), made appropriate utility and septic connections and, if necessary, a separate electrical meter pole has been installed. Individuals must contact their power company to request an additional meter and to establish electric service with a local provider.
  • Contractors will coordinate with local government officials to administer all necessary permits.
  • Once the utilities are connected, permits issued, the unit inspected and determined ready for occupancy, the recipient will sign necessary occupancy agreements and documents in order to occupy the unit.
  • An occupant’s need for housing assistance will be re-evaluated on a regular basis to determine continued eligibility for the entire period of assistance.